As every year, as Christmas approaches, we are again full of doubts about what to give to our children.
It is also possible that we receive questions from grandfathers and grandmothers, uncles and aunts about what a suitable gift is because they have absolutely no idea what really is the best gift to give.
At times, looking for the right gift can prove to be quite a dilemma. When we encounter this situation, it is important to keep in mind what stage the child is in.
A gift that is not suitable for the age of the child either stays in the cupboard for a long time or is never touched at all. Eternal sin! In this article we will help you make the right choice.
What we discuss in this comprehensive post:
- 1 Choosing Christmas gifts for children. What do you pay attention to?
- 2 Christmas gifts for children under 2 years old
- 4 Christmas gifts for children between 2 and 3 years old
- 6 Christmas gifts for children between 3 and 5 years old
- 8 Christmas gifts for children between 6 and 11 years old
- 10 Christmas gifts for children from 11 years old
Choosing Christmas gifts for children. What do you pay attention to?
It is important never to let a child get used to an excessive amount of gifts. If you give a child a gift too often when there is actually no apparent reason for it, their sense of enthusiasm will soon disappear when you receive a new gift for Christmas, for example.
Grandmothers and grandfathers who have gone to such trouble to find a nice gift may be disappointed that the gift is quickly pushed aside.
So make sure you can still surprise a child with the nice gifts. This means that as a parent you hold back a bit for the rest of the year, save things that you think you need like a nice balance bike and give it before Christmas.
In addition, provide a gift of great quality. Children generally last longer here and if there are no parts on toys that can break or break, then safety is also guaranteed.
In addition, you pay attention to the phase the child enters. The preference of the child can also be an important factor. If you are a son who loves cars, a new doll will be less well received.
But also be careful not to get stuck in the same pattern too much. Diversity is of course also good for a child. In this way, a child is more widely developed, and who knows, you might arouse a new interest.
Christmas gifts for children under 2 years old
For children under 2 years of age, stimulation is a good idea for a suitable gift. Of course it is not easy to discover what their real interest is at this age. Those little ones are still discovering everything! So choose beautiful toys that go well with this.
The discovery phase that a child is in the middle of is extremely important.
Children from 1 year old love to move, stack objects and build towers. They can start coloring. Some types of toys they love include big moving cars, tricycles, blocks they can stack on top of each other, etc.
Children ages 1 to 2 also like toys that make or can speak music. This will help them to speak their first words.
Movement is the most important stimulus for children to learn to walk better. At this stage, kids want to get everywhere. They believe that everything is much more accessible and that they have a special interest in reaching certain objects that catch their attention.
It is also the period when children begin to recognize the property of objects and they begin to use and understand different words. Pay close attention to their growing vocabulary which is only going up from this point on.
The language that is the new tool to communicate with will allow your little one to start small conversations with you. Even if they don't understand what they are saying, they will go to great lengths to communicate with the world. Help them with that.
Below we show some toys that promote the development of the child at this stage. Some of the toys we have selected stimulate language development, the development of new hand skills, the development of the senses and psychomotor development.
- Studio 100 Bumba Sound game 'Was-da-na?' - Child's play: We have the Bumba sound game for both boys and girls. Here the little ones get to know Bumba and his friends and learn to imitate the sounds they make. For an extra learning moment there are cards where they can guess which card belongs to a certain sound.
- VTech Baby 5 in 1 Letter Locomotive - Interactive Toy Figure: This interactive letter locomotive is an ideal gift for little ones. It is a locomotive that is super easy to build and can be used used as a walker. Your little one qualifies here with letters, letter sounds, objects and more. It consists of several melodies and songs.
- WonderWorld: A cool fire brigade walker that will stimulate your child to walk more and more. It is secured with a control system that ensures that it does not go too fast. It contains blocks (toy blocks are very good!) in different sizes and colors for fun to build.
- Hape - wooden play cube: A wooden play cube consisting of mazes, shapes, levers, etc. Your little one will have hours of fun here.
- LEGO DUPLO Number train - 1084: This Lego duplo number train consists of numbers so that your little one comes into contact with trying to recognize numbers. You can easily disassemble and reassemble the train.
- VTech Toet Toet Cars Garage - Playset: Especially for children who can't get enough of cars, we have the car garage playset. A nice tow truck that takes other cars and puts them on the lift. Your child will listen to happy reactions here and let off steam. It talks and has melodies and sung songs.
- VTech Toet Toet Cars Minnie's Ice Cream Parlor - Playset: A great fun playset that keeps your little one busy and is also very versatile. It makes noises, especially Minnie who keeps talking. It also contains melodies and songs.
- VTech Happy Friends Magical Kingdom Magic Unicorn & Femke Fairy - Toy figure: A magical unicorn that walks forward and can move. It consists of various melodies and songs that your little girl will love and try to sing along.
- balance bike: Balance bikes are an ideal gift. Your child goes outside more often with the balance bike, learns to keep balance on the bike and can thus learn what speed is and learn to ride in an accessible way. The bike also lasts a long time and it is therefore really a gift that can still be used until your child switches to a larger bike. Buy a helmet and possibly other protective clothing.
Christmas gifts for children between 2 and 3 years old
If we want to give a Christmas present to a child between the ages of 2 and 3, we often have a little less trouble compared to choosing a suitable gift for a child under 2. Partly because the child has now shown his own preference and we there influence our choice. Still, there are several things to keep in mind when choosing an ideal gift.
Children at this stage are starting to get to know more and more everything around them and their coordination is in full swing, so it is advisable to purchase such toys as blocks, buildings to make, balls, musical instruments, etc.
After two years, children not only show interest in other children, but they also start associating with them more and more. Suddenly they are more sociable, more participating in the activities that others organize. They no longer want to just play with mom or dad. Instead of playing “side by side”, children play “together”.
To stimulate development at this age, suitable toys are those that help to stimulate creativity, imagination, memory and skills with the hands. Below we give examples of such gifts:
- LEGO Duplo large building plate 2304: A large Duplo building board is an ideal base on which you can build small houses and a garden with dolls. You can see this building board as a nice basis to start building with. You will need other Duplo packs to expand further. The Duplo blocks are made for little children's hands and they learn to see, straighten and press. In the beginning it will be difficult and you will have to help with the assembly. leave them on only taking that moment apart, that also helps with the development of fine motor skills.
- Fisher-Price Mega Bloks Elephant Parade: Here your child can experience the best adventures with the Elephant Parade. A nice cart in the shape of an elephant with blocks that rotate while your little one pulls the cart with a string. He / she can assemble other animals with the colored blocks.
- LEGO DUPLO Steam train - 10874: The ideal gift where your child can lay a railway and play with a steam train. With a little push the steam train starts to run. It makes sounds and has lights, it works on batteries. Your little one will have hours of fun playing here.
- SES My First Coloring with water: This is a suitable gift where your little one can have fun with coloring pictures that you can wet with a brush and drawings automatically appear. It is a safe way to come into contact with signs because you only need to use water. It is also a safe way, because the bristles of the brush cannot fall out. After drying, everything can be used again. This way you can be creative with your child.
- Goula - wooden stacking blocks: This toy is actually suitable for children of different ages. Children learn to implement their own ideas by playing with blocks. Because the blocks are freely stackable and you do not have to follow fixed patterns, your child can let his or her own imagination run wild. In addition, it also ensures that balance and accurate work are taught.
- Jumbo - Mr Bucket child's play: Since children aged 2-3 years enjoy playing with each other more and more, a family game is always a fun option to give - especially at Christmas. This game is already suitable for children from 2 years. It can be quite a difficult task for the little ones among us to perform the tasks well, but with some help from the other players and some practice, he / she can participate fully in no time. And that is exactly what a toddler wants to participate!
- Kurio Tab Light: Kindertablets die geschikt zijn voor kleine handjes en ook nog eens kunnen worden beveiligd met oudercontrole zijn ook een ontzettende goede keuze. Ook voor kinderen van twee jaar. Je kunt ervoor kiezen om je kindje elke dag een half uur of uurtje tv te laten kijken of je laat je kind diezelfde tijd op de children's tablet educatieve spelletjes doen. Mijn keuze is wel makkelijk gemaakt. Een kindertablet kan spelenderwijs je kindje helpen leren tellen, rhyme, puzzling, distinguishing colors, etc. If the beeping, songs and game sounds drive you crazy, buy children's headphones. Which one to choose? you can do that here. .
Christmas gifts for children between 3 and 5 years old
Children of this age develop an increasing imagination and fantasy. From the age of 3 children start to distinguish their role and gender more and more. In some cases you see that the boys want more and more "cool" toys and girls want more and more "girlish" toys with lots of pink. Of course it is nice to get something that you really like as a child and as a parent you are quickly inclined to give something that they want to play with. But beware of the pitfall of giving your child something that he / she already has so much of. Getting the same kind of toys is also boring and eventually the least favorite ends up in a corner or cupboard.
So try to think outside the box and look for an original gift. We hope that we have listed a few options below that will make this choice easier.
- Fireman Sam 2 in 1 Jupiter - Toy Figures Set: A very nice firefighter set full of activities. Sam the firefighter receives emergency calls in the control center, he slides down and takes Jupiter the fire truck or Mercury the quad to the emergency.
- Playmobil Family Fun ski hut 9280: A beautiful ski hut that your little one will have fun with. It contains dolls, furniture and winter sports items and removable gloves for the dolls.
- play doh: Play doh is a fun creative toy for both boys and girls. You can make things together, with your own imagination running at full speed. And because you can start over and over again, the toys will not get boring quickly.
- KidKraft play teepee: A stylish toy tent of up to 2 meters high that your child can put in his / her room. Your child can play in this and let his / her imagination run wild. It is of course great fun to play with friends and with this cool teepee your child will be completely in his / her role.
- Smoby Black & Decker Workbench 76 cm: Especially for boys between 3 and 5 years old, there is a workbench that your little one can use for DIY. It includes several tools. The workbench has several storage compartments and 92 accessories. Your little one will immediately fall in love with this workbench and will have a lot of fun with it.
- KidKraft wooden Florence dollhouse: A gift especially for girls between 3 and 5 years old. Nothing is more fun for little girl around her having fun with a dollhouse with furniture and dolls. Your little girl will have hours of fun with this.
- New Classic Toys - children's guitar with carrying strap: Do you actually know if your child is musical? Perhaps you have never been involved in this at all, but your son or daughter really enjoys discovering and playing music. This guitar is suitable for children from the age of 3 and introduces them in a fun way to what it feels like to make music yourself. Do they have a sister or brother, boyfriend or girlfriend with someone else instrument, then they can start a band together..!
- VTech Storio Max XL 2.0: A children's tablet suitable for children from 3 years. Also equipped with parental control and can be filled with fun, educational and versatile games. The operating system is Android 5.0 and in addition to learning all kinds of skills, your child also learns to consciously deal with technology and screen use. You can set screen time as a parent and so your child learns from an early age that variety is good for people. (read more about the Storio Max in our post)
Of c, which is always a good choice in this age category
Christmas gifts for children between 6 and 11 years old
Children of these ages are in a period when they are fully developing different skills. Such as cognitive, emotional and social skills. They are beginning to understand the world around them better.
In this phase, children prefer to just play with other children. Especially boys with other boys and girls with other girls, but not necessarily this way.
Many boys and girls are starting to get their personal strong opinion about what kind of toys they prefer and with whom and with whom they like to play. It's very important that we keep their wishes in mind, but, as above, we shouldn't focus on one specific type of toy. Better to vary.
- Ravensburger Xoomy® - Drawing machine: This is in the form of a practical suitcase, all material can be stored and taken with you. You have a choice of 200 images to combine and create scenes. This is ideal for letting your child's imagination and imagination work.
- Barbie Ambulance: An ambulance that not only your daughter, but also your son can play with. Ride the ambulance with Barbie to rescue others. The ambulance is foldable and consists of several accessories.
- I learn to read: Especially for children from 5 to 7 years old to help him / her learn to read and spell words in a fun way. It concerns carefully chosen words up to a maximum of 5 letters. It contains multiple cards and assignments at different levels.
- Ticket to Ride Europe - Board game: A super fun board game for children from 8 years to play with 2 to 5 players. Players travel across the continent to complete routes on their destination maps.
- SpaceScooter: An ideal toy if you want to encourage your child to play outside more often. At this age, children can be alone in some places playing outside with boyfriends and girlfriends and if they have this nice scooter, they will be only too happy to do so. This SpaceScooter has two options for moving forward; while stepping and by moving the plank back and forth. Please note that protective clothing and certainly a helmet must also be worn.
- Buffalo Air hockey table Mistral: Thanks to its size, this table fits into any living room (or even better, any children's room) and you can put the table away in a cupboard after playing. This is the ideal way to keep your son or daughter busy with a boyfriend or girlfriend when they cannot or cannot play outside.
Christmas gifts for children from 11 years old
When choosing a gift for children over 11, you can often ask them what they would like to have. Often they already have a few things in mind. Nevertheless, we can always surprise them with the best gifts.
- Monopoly Cheaters Edition - Board game: The well-known Monopoly board game, but not just any Monopoly but the cheat-play edition. Finally a version where cheating is allowed. There are rules of the game, but the point is to stealthily win and catch others.
- 999 Games 30 seconds board game: A super funny board game for children over 12 years old. And as far as we're concerned, a board game always a good idea. You give it on Christmas Day and the rest of the Christmas holidays they can play this game with relatives or boyfriends and girlfriends. The more people who play this game the better, it's a very interactive game. Teams must compete against each other. One of the group tries to portray a concept and the rest have to write down as many concepts as possible within 30 seconds to see who comes further.
- DJI Spark: Intended for children over 12. The DJI Spark is a drone with short dimensions and a quality camera.
- Nintendo Switch: A game console that has been very successful recently and rightly so. You can play with it both at home and on the road and it is very practical. We even have wrote a whole post about the switch.
There are many other ways to surprise your child besides giving toys. Think of giving books or a fun day out with the whole family. The possibilities are endless, but at least choose something that suits your budget, the preferences and stage of life of your child and the situation of the family.
Nice children's books to give at Christmas
It is always nice to receive a book, especially as a child you can enjoy yourself with it for a while, and that for an often very reasonable price. Here are some more book ideas to give this Christmas.
Books for children between 1 and 4 years old
- Marion Billet - My animals: A nice book for small children that you can also listen to.
- Eric Carle - Caterpillar Never enough feel book: The classic book about Caterpillar Never enough.
- Roman Guyard - My little lamp book: Animals: A nice book about animals that are afraid of the dark. The booklet contains small lights.
- Magali Le Huche Paco and Mozart (sound book)
Books for children between the ages of 4 and 6 Year
Books for children between the ages of 7 and 11 Year
- Andy Griffiths and Terry Denton The Insane Tree House: The insane 91-storey tree house
- Annet Schaap - Lamp
Books for children above the 11 years
We hope that nothing stands in the way of a beautiful and happy Christmas with your family! Merry Christmas!
Fancy a fun Christmas game night? read our post about the best dice games for kids and family