Always something to do for the holidays or rainy day?
Play Choice now has the ultimate activity book collection, with over 60 pages of fun coloring pages and educational puzzles.
Automatically propel you on a 'floating' two-wheeled plank; that sounds like a science fiction movie!
But of course this future has been here for a while. There are now a lot of brands that have improved and made really good toys. Unfortunately, there are still a few lesser brands… So choosing can still be quite difficult!
We've sorted it out for you. We list the best brands for you and indicate what you should pay attention to if you want to buy one.
It is best to go with a hoverboard go for an established brand and this Bluewheel HX310s has the best price/quality relationship we have seen. German solidity as in the car industry from a brand that has been around for a long time in the hover scene.
There are also more extensive versions, but this is not necessary at all, especially as a beginner.
Here's a roundup of the best hoverboards:
|Overall best hoverboard: Bluewheel HX310s|
|Best price quality hoverboard: Vonino Carbon|| |
(view more images)
|Best Cheap Hoverboard: Denver DBO|
(view more images)
|Best hoverkart combo: Colorway Flash-rad balance|
(view more images)
|Best Offroad Hoverboard: Evercross Challenger||(view more images)|
What we discuss in this comprehensive post:
- 1 Hoverboard buying guide
- 2 Best hoverboards rated
- 3 Hoverboards that did not make the selection
- 4 Hoverboard brands
- 5 Conclusion
Hoverboard buying guide
When you want to purchase a hoverboard, for yourself or as a gift for someone else, you will quickly discover that there are a lot of different boards.
The various models and brands each have their own characteristics.
It is therefore important to consider the properties of these self-balancing scooters before making the purchase.
What should you keep in mind when buying a hoverboard?
- Size: The ideal width and length of a hoverboard depend on the way you are comfortable. The balancing boards that are specifically aimed at children are therefore often a bit smaller. The maximum speed and weight that this gadget can handle will also be lower in the case of a child model.
- Weight: A light hoverboard is easy to carry and often rides smoothly. The weight of the device is determined by the hardware. The type of battery in particular influences the total weight. The weight of the driver also influences the final choice. There are children's boards that can handle a maximum load of 60 kg; this makes them unsuitable for most adults. In addition, the minimum weight is also important, because of the pressure that the pedals need to make the hoverboard move smoothly.
- Frame: A good self-balancing scooter must be able to take a beating. Cheaper models are often damaged more quickly. The rubber bumper strips also release easily. A good quality hoverboard may be a bit more pricey, but it certainly lasts longer.
- Wheels: The number of watts per wheel determines the power of the wheels; a higher number of watts also improves driving comfort. To get up to speed, it is important to purchase a hoverboard with wheels of at least 350 watts. The size of the wheels is indicated in inches; from normal 6,5 inch wheels to larger 8 inch wheels. One inch equals 2,54 cm.
- Maximum speed: The hoverboard brand also determines how fast you can go with it. On average, you can reach a speed between 6 and 20 kilometers per hour with a self-balancing wheel. Your weight and the road you drive on also affect the speed.
- Inclination angle: The angle of inclination indicates the ease with which the device can drive up a hill. Many hoverboards have an angle of inclination between 20 and 30 degrees.
- Accu: A cheap (replica) battery comes with the necessary risks. In the past, it has been found that the lithium-ion batteries produced in China often caught fire. A good reason to invest in a battery from Samsung or LG, for example. The better the battery, the longer the motherboard will last. This system is supplied by the current supplied by the battery.
- Battery life: When purchasing a balancing board, it is, in addition to the battery, also important to consider the battery life. This affects how many kilometers you can drive with the device without having to recharge it. With a SwheelS hoverboard you can drive 15 to 20 km on a fully charged battery. The battery life depends, among other things, on the weight of the driver and the surface on which it is driven.
- Charging time: The charging time is also a point of attention. For example, with the cheaper models, such as the Denver DBO-6520 Hoverboard, it takes 4 hours for the battery to be fully charged. Both the SwheelS hoverboard and the OXBOARD PRO have a charging time of 1 to 2 hours.
- Motherboard: The motherboard is the brain of the hoverboard and therefore one of the most important parts. The best system for these vehicles is the TaoTao motherboard. TaoTao is the original manufacturer of the system boards and delivers the best quality. A replica motherboard may be a lot cheaper, but you run the risk that the system will break down faster.
From what age are hoverboards suitable?
Hoverboard Age Requirements: The “official” age requirement for most hoverboards is 8 years and older.
That said, my niece who is 6, rides her Hoverboard like a champ, so the answer should really be - it depends.
Best hoverboards rated
Then let's dive straight into each choice:
Overall best hoverboard: Bluewheel HX310s
What makes the Bluewheel hoverboard one of the best self balancing boards is the price-quality ratio
Good price / quality ratio. Excellent battery and motherboard without being too expensive.
With a motherboard from the reliable brand TaoTao, you can be sure that this smart balance board will last for a while.
If not, Bluewheel offers a two-year warranty on all factory parts. That is how confident they are of the quality of this gadget.
The young entrepreneurs of this brand also excel in service.
The brand also meets the desired requirements and safety certificates, so that you can give your child this hoverboard as a gift.
However, Bluewheel hoverboards are not only suitable for children from the age of 10. Adults can also ride this self balancing board.
The boards can handle a weight of up to 120 kg.
They also have a beginner function, which makes it a lot easier for the inexperienced driver to master driving.
One reviewer said:
I bought these for my 8 year old son. Safety was the most important consideration for me. Bluewheel is a bit more expensive but are more than worth the money. It drives smoothly and reacts quickly. My son started in the beginner function and then quickly switched to the extended sports mode.
You also have expansion options with this smart balance board.
The hoverboard can be transformed into a hover kart with the right accessories.
Best price-quality hoverboard: Vonino Carbon
A hoverboard that takes a close second place comes from this young company!
The balance board from The Scootershop brand is suitable for users with a larger budget, who can appreciate the luxurious appearance of this device.
The board therefore looks futuristic. The price of around € 200 is mainly determined by the sturdiness of this Hoverboard.
Especially the huge wheels catch the eye. They are therefore a lot bigger than the tires of the average hoverboard.
The popularity of the brand is evident from the fact that the brand is increasingly used as a generic name.
The board is also suitable for both young and old. Even brave grandparents can take a ride on the board. The recommended age is between 9 and 100 years.
He gets a whopping 4.4 out of 5 on bol.com and one reviewer said that he can be let up quickly and her 11-year-old child is constantly on it, and another was happy that his children finally did want to walk the dog. .
With a Samsung battery and a TaoTao motherboard as well, you have a quality product with this PRO.
The battery also lasts a long time; fully charged you can drive it up to 20 km.
The board has been tested extra safely and the rubber edges ensure that the board can take a beating.
Best Cheap Hoverboard: Denver DBO
Cheap but reliable hoverboard from under 180 euros. Not such a good battery and can only go 15 km per hour, but a great choice for children
If your son or daughter has the idea of wanting a hoverboard, then as a parent you naturally dive the internet to find out which hoverboards are good, at a good price and especially which hoverboards are safe.
In any case, you are making a good choice with the Denver; it is a good board, has a competitive price and is safe.
In this article we explain what specifically this hoverboard meets and why we think it is a good choice.
Should you be interested in a general sentence to read about the safety of hoverboards read on here.
Safe hardware - Denver uses good materials
What appears from both this article and the article in which the hoverboards are compared to each other is that Denver is a reliable brand.
If you entrust your son or daughter with a hoverboard, the reliability of the board is a requirement.
Denver builds robust equipment and is therefore safe to use.
For example, one reviewer on bol.com said that it is definitely waterproof, self-tested, and another that it is very manoeuvrable and nice to use, and it generally gets 5 out of 5 stars.
Safety first, also on the Denver hoverboard
Of course protective clothing and the use of a helmet, elbow and knee protection highly recommended.
Of course, that's the case when using all hoverboards, not just the Denver. A tough helmet especially for hoverboards can be found here for example.
Make sure the rider does not have loose laces that can get caught in moving parts of the board while riding.
The same goes for loose-fitting clothing.
The age of your child must also be taken into account. Make sure your son or daughter can handle the board responsibly and safely.
Your child must be able to maintain a good balance, but must also be able to understand how to act if something unexpectedly goes wrong.
Housing of the Denver
The housing of this Denver DBO is sturdy and robust. It consists of a hard ABS frame. ABS is a thermoplastic, ie a plastic, with a high finish.
The Denver hoverboard can therefore take a beating.
Anti-slip pieces have been applied to the frame for a good grip on the board. This makes leaning forward and backward on the board easier.
We'll discuss the importance of properly placing your feet on the board later in this article.
Wheels of the Denver
Another pleasant part of this Denver hoverboard model is that the wheels are relatively large.
This has a great positive effect on driving pleasure. The two aluminum rims have a diameter of 6.5 ”(16,5 cm) and have wide rubber wheels for extra grip.
Besides a better grip on the surface, you can imagine that wide wheels make it easier to keep your balance. However, the wheels are not so wide that cornering is made difficult.
Tao Tao motherboard
An incredibly important part of a hoverboard is the motherboard.
This motherboard provides the balancing power and after all, this is what a hoverboard is all about.
The technology of the motherboard is so specific that it is not easy to make.
If you're not that familiar with the hoverboard world, Tao Tao probably won't tell you anything.
We can tell you that the technology used by the manufacturer of Tao Tao motherboards is unparalleled at the moment.
Here is an interesting video about the manufacturer of the Tao Tao motherboards:
If your hoverboard doesn't have a Tao Tao motherboard, then you're really buying a lower quality hoverboard.
It is therefore extremely important to take this into account before purchasing a hoverboard.
The battery of this Denver model delivers a power of 2x 350 Watt. The board therefore has two motors that each produce 350 watts.
In principle, this power should be enough to drive approximately 15 km.
Battery life depends on usage
Be aware that this distance will become shorter if:
- The driver is heavier
- The surface is uneven
- There are slopes to be taken.
- Frequent starting, stopping, accelerating and slowing down will cause the battery to last less than if you maintain a constant speed.
- It's hot
- The battery has not been properly maintained
As long as the battery indicator is green, the battery is charged enough to drive it.
When you see that the indicator is red, stop driving and charge the battery with the corresponding charger.
Charging the Denver battery
Charging the battery takes less than three hours and this is a really good time compared to other hoverboards.
While the battery is charging, the battery indicator will be red. When the battery is sufficiently charged, the light will turn green.
It is important that you pay close attention to the following matters regarding charging the battery:
- Place the battery in a ventilated place. Like other devices that you charge, the battery heats up while charging. So make sure that the board is not covered
- Never leave the battery on longer than four hours
- Once the light turns green, unplug the power cord. The capacity of the battery is affected by overcharging
Cons hardware Denver hoverboard
The disadvantage of the Denver hoverboard is that it is not suitable for use in wet conditions.
But since hoverboards may not be used on public roads, we don't really see the problem.
If you use the board indoors (for example in an indoor skate park), you will not be bothered by the restriction that the board cannot withstand a wet road surface.
Read here why you better not use a hoverboard indoors
Don't get your Denver hoverboard wet
The reason the board cannot withstand moisture is because the housing does not protect the hardware on the inside of the board.
If the motherboard gets wet, the function of your hoverboard is immediately gone.
So it is really important to follow the warning that is given from the factory.
Maximum weight of 80kg
In addition, this specific model of the Denver hoverboards can handle a maximum weight of 80 kg.
This is not a problem for most children, but sharing the hoverboard with an enthusiastic father usually becomes difficult.
Children who are too light (under 20 kg) also cannot make good use of the hoverboard. The sensors simply do not work properly if there is not enough weight on them.
In our opinion, this is not really a downside.
A child who weighs less than 20 kg is in any case often too young to properly control a hoverboard and should not ride a hoverboard at all, in our opinion.
Read here about Attune's children and hoverboard safety
Value for money of the Denver
The Denver board's price-quality ratio is very good.
This is also one of the reasons that we have chosen this board when it comes to hobby use of a hoverboard.
Bol.com offers the boards in different colors, which makes it an ideal gift! Check the bol.com site for the current price.
Here you will find the user manual of the Denver hoverboard in Dutch, in which you read more about use and maintenance of this board.
Built-in alarm in the hoverboard for more safety
The Denver hoverboard is designed in such a way that it gives an alarm if the board has not found balance.
In our opinion, this is an incredibly big plus and will improve safety in use.
The alarm sounds in a number of situations:
- If a system failure occurs during use.
- When you step on and move the board more than 10 degrees forwards or backwards.
- The battery voltage is too low.
- You stand on the board while charging.
- If the platform is turned upside down during use, operation will be inhibited.
- When you drive at too high a speed.
- If the battery is insufficiently charged.
- When the tires become blocked, the scooter will turn off after two seconds.
- With continuous heavy power relief (such as going up a steep slope for a long time).
The alarm therefore indicates well when you use your hoverboard in the wrong way.
Denver hoverboard, really good choice
As far as we are concerned, we have shown you the advantages and the very few disadvantages in this article.
The Denver model is an excellent choice for people who want to ride a hoverboard for fun and don't want to spend too much money on it.
It is a hoverboard made of solid and sturdy material and is therefore an excellent choice in our opinion.
Best hoverkart combo: Colorway Flash-rad balance
With a price above 200 euros, it is not the cheapest, but it is a perfect Hoverkart combo for an all-in-one purchase
The mini segway from the exclusive brand Colorway falls in the same price category as the Denver hoverboard, but only because it comes with a Hoverkart.
If you were already thinking of purchasing a Hoverkart to sit comfortably on your Hoverboard, then a 2-in-1 option is the best money-saving tip.
However, this balancing board is not supplied by a Samsung battery, but by an LG 4.4A battery. Besides Samsung, this is one of the better batteries for a hoverboard.
If you want a unique item, a self balancing board from this brand is a good option; they are only supplied in a small edition.
This device can also be connected to the hoverkart. However, the board is unsuitable for smaller children.
If users are underweight, there will not be enough pressure on the rubber pads, which can cause the device to stall.
Best Off-Road Hoverboard: Evercross Challenger
A slightly spicier price tag, but you do get a lot for the price. A good battery, a TaoTao motherboard and 6.5 inch wheels
The nice addition is a bluetooth app if you like it, this is a top choice.
A good hoverboard is worth a lot. Especially when it is equipped with 6.5 inch wheels, a good battery and a TaoTao motherboard.
Especially the powerful motors of the Lucas Electronics board are appreciated by many users.
In addition to the versions in different colors, this hoverboard contains something that is missing from the aforementioned boards: a bluetooth app.
By connecting this gadget to your smartphone, music comes out of the built-in speakers.
That is also what customer reviews are mainly talking about, it works intuitively but especially the music is also of good quality.
They did say that you should stay close to the source (so actually your phone or another bluetooth music player) in your pocket and that the battery of the hoverboard is good, but can drain quickly with the music on.
At the same time, the LED lighting on the top of the hoverboard will change color.
Even if these technical highlights are not important to you, the Evercross hoverboard is a stable device that will last a long time.
Hoverboards that did not make the selection
Your budget is of course a point of attention when purchasing a hoverboard. We have for every budget put together a number of boards for you.
Hoverboard for under 200 euros
- Denver DHO-6520 Hoverboard (€ 149, check the latest price here): Denver is one reliable brand when it comes to hoverboards. This device is therefore an excellent choice within the lower price range. With a maximum weight of 80 kg and a top speed of 15 km/h, Denver seems to focus mainly on the youth. Also the choice between four different colors makes it a perfect gift for kids. However, the board is not suitable for persons under 20 kg. For balance it is important that there is enough weight on the pedals (and the gyroscopes). The board falls in the lower price category, among other things, due to the lack of a Samsung battery. This hoverboard also has one relatively long charging time compared to the boards from SwheelS and Oxboard. The Denver DBO-6520 Hoverboard is available both online and at toy stores such as Intertoys.
- Ergenic Hoverboard - 6,5 ”(€ 159, -, view customer reviews here): Another relatively cheap option is the Ergenic Hoverboard with 6,5 inch wheels. The built-in 350 watt motors ensure that this board has enough power to get up to speed quickly. Just like the Denver balance board, you can also use this device to speed up to 15 km / h. However, it is also possible to ride this hoverboard as adults; the carrying weight is namely 120 kg. The rechargeable Li-ion battery has been tested and found safe by TÜV. However, the board differs slightly in size from many other hoverboards, making it more difficult to purchase replacement, suitable parts. For example, the black and white hoverboards from Ergenic are half an inch shorter than the airboard from Denver. Also some other factory parts are replicas of quality brands, such as Samsung and TaoTao. This explains why the Ergenic Hoverboard is in a lower price range.
Looking for something specific? also watch our post about the best bluetooth hoverboards
In the meantime, a lot of brands are emerging, especially because many come from China without any control on the European market.
The main Hoverboard brands to keep an eye on are:
- Blue Wheel
Technological developments seem to be going faster than ever.
Where the elderly sometimes have trouble keeping up with the latest fads, young people seem to have no problems at all.
Goods she just got used to the tablet, yet another technological feat comes around the corner; the hoverboard.
This floating - but not real - skateboard is powered by a motor, so you can drive over the road at a good speed.
Fortunately for many concerned parents, the use of the hoverboard on public roads has now been banned.
However, this does not affect the popularity of the device.
Creative as kids, YouTube is full of tricks you can even do around the house with this electric skateboard.
Due to the great popularity, there is now a huge range of hoverboards.
From simple, safe boards for young people to oxboards with built-in bluetooth speakers.
With the right protection and practice, almost anyone can safely use these self-balancing scooters.
There are, however, some exceptions.
Although the children can often control the hoverboard without difficulty, it is the parents who regularly provide the necessary bloopers.
Lees meer: the fastest hoverboard on the Dutch market
Always something to do for the holidays or rainy day?
Play Choice now has the ultimate activity book collection, with over 60 pages of fun coloring pages and educational puzzles.
Joost Nusselder, the founder of Speelkeuze.nl is a content marketer, father and loves trying out new toys. As a child he came into contact with everything related to games when his mother started the Tinnen Soldaat in Ede. Now he and his team create helpful blog articles to help loyal readers with fun play ideas.