Children and building are a fantastic combination. Anyone who has children at home can find toys that contain blocks or building blocks.
Almost every child finds building exciting and fun to do.
But building involves much more than just stacking blocks, or assembling them: it is also extremely important for healthy development.
In this article I'll give you some examples of fun building toys that come with dolls.
In addition, I will briefly explain why building is an indispensable play activity for a child.
In the table below you can find a number of toy products that consist of building blocks and figures to play with.
|Best LEGO City construction kit: Space Travel Rocket|
|Best LEGO Friends construction kit: Friendship Bus|
|Best LEGO Duplo construction kit: Fire station|
|Cutest building material with dolls for toddler: The Wild Family 50 wooden building blocks in tons|
|Cutest building material with dolls for toddler: Androni Woezel & Pip in the Magic Garden|
|Most fun construction kit with dolls from toddler to 8 years: Mini Basic Plus-Plus Police|
Check out the best options in my video, or read more about why building with these toys is good for development, and an in-depth review of each of these options:
What we discuss in this comprehensive post:
- 1 Why are construction toys crucial to development?
- 2 6 best building sets with figures rated
- 2.1 Best LEGO City building kit: Space Rocket
- 2.2 Best LEGO Friends construction kit: Friendship Bus
- 2.3 Best LEGO Duplo building kit: Fire station
- 2.4 Best building material with dolls for toddler: The Wild Family 50 wooden building blocks in barrel
- 2.5 Best building material with dolls for toddler: Androni Woezel & Pip in the Magic Garden
- 2.6 Best kit with dolls from toddler to 8 years old: Mini Basic Plus-Plus Police
- 3 Conclusion
Why are construction toys crucial to development?
Building is not all fun. No, it is also an important part of the development of every child.
There are many good reasons to let your child play with building materials, we list six of them below:
- Self-confidence and social play. A child is often proud when it has completed its construction. Not only has it then created a beautiful product with the help of the blocks: it has also built up self-confidence and self-esteem. Building is often more fun with boyfriends and girlfriends. The kids then have to share toys and work together on an end product. If the building material also contains dolls, a child also learns role-playing immediately.
- Problem solving and persistence. By creating, demolishing, and rebuilding, a child learns that not everything always goes right the first time, and that perseverance is needed to achieve a certain goal. For example, a child wants to build a ship. It then starts thinking about how he is going to approach that. If he takes a critical look at his product during construction, he may think, for example: "the ship is actually still a bit too square, how do I improve the shape of my ship?"
- Creativity and (imagination). Blocks, bricks and other building materials offer a lot of possibilities. With a little imagination and creativity, a child can make whatever they want. By playing with a friend, a child can also create something they could not have imagined themselves.
- Mobility. When a child plays with blocks and construction toys, their fine and gross motor skills are called upon. During development the motor skills get better and better. Little kids often start with large blocks, and when they grow up they can experiment with smaller blocks.
- Language. When a child builds something together with someone, they learn to express themselves in a playful way. Together with a friend, they can discuss the product they are building together. LEGO has released special building toys specifically designed to promote language development, such as the LEGO Education StoryTales.
- Mathematics and Science. While building, a child comes into contact with various concepts, such as fitting and measuring, shapes, numbers and you name it. Spatial insight is required when building. Children see how gravity works and while building they are given the opportunity to test hypotheses.
6 best building sets with figures rated
Best LEGO City building kit: Space Rocket
The LEGO City Space Travel Rocket Building and Transport is a fantastic building kit for the space enthusiast. The toys are based on lifelike NASA missions.
The set consists of 1055 building parts and seven figures including astronauts and a laboratory worker and it really is a MEGA package.
The set comes with lifelike details such as a multi-stage rocket with cockpit, missile transport crawler and a launch pad.
In this video, LEGO shows its building kit:
This great toy is suitable for children between 7 and 12 years old.
Best LEGO Friends construction kit: Friendship Bus
Will you join the LEGO Friends Friendship Bus? With this bus you will make the best trip of your life!
This friendship bus contains everything you could wish for, including a retractable pool with slide.
If you push the roof back, you will end up in the kitchen and the bathroom. In the upper deck are the rooms with the friends' beds.
The roof is transparent so that the girls can look at the stars at night in bed. The set comes with fantastic accessories and consists of 778 blocks and three figures.
The minimum age is 8 years.
Best LEGO Duplo building kit: Fire station
For the little builders among us there is the LEGO Duplo Fire Station 10903. This fire station is easy to build and comes with three fun figures.
The fire station has a tower and a truck equipped with a flashing light and siren (which really work!).
Accessories included with the set include a ladder, fire hose, fire extinguisher, ax and a campfire.
This toy teaches children in a playful way what firefighters do for us in daily life and what heroes they are!
The set consists of 76 parts and is suitable for children from 2 years old.
Best building material with dolls for toddler: The Wild Family 50 wooden building blocks in barrel
Building with blocks is already great fun for a toddler, but if you are also looking for building material with figures, then these wooden blocks from The Wild Family are really something for them.
With the cute animals they can not only build but also play fun fantasy games.
Best building material with dolls for toddler: Androni Woezel & Pip in the Magic Garden
Woezel & Pip are always cute, whether in a book for my son, the TV show or one of the many toys you can buy from it.
I like this magic garden extra, because you not only have the cute figures and many of their friends, but you can also put them together nicely.
Best kit with dolls from toddler to 8 years old: Mini Basic Plus-Plus Police
I thought they looked a bit strange at first, but the construction in this way actually makes it fun to build with them.
It's a bit abstract like this, the police car, helicopter and the figures. But with all the pluses it is great fun to put together and there are no less than 760 pieces for an affordable price.
As you have read, it is extremely important that you have building toys at home for your child. We have given you some examples of fun construction toys with dolls, so that your children can also role-play with the dolls after building.
Have fun building!