If you are a card maker then you will absolutely love the Sizzix Big Shot Plus.
This manually driven cutting machine is perfect for children, beginners and crafters who want to get started with die cutting and embossing in one go.
Overall, it's one of the best cutting machines on the market, it's really easy to operate, and you get a ton of materials right away with the beginner bundle.
Before we get into the specs of this machine, let's make it clear that the Big Shot isn't actually that big at all.
It is designed for crafts such as card making and scrapbook and the print area is A4 size. This is nice, because it allows you to use most sizes of material.
So very compatible, you will never end up with unusable material!
The Sizzix Big Shot Plus is available as a beginner's kit, where you receive the following:
- 1 Big Shot Plus Machine
- 1 Big Shot Plus Platform System
- 2 A4 cutting mats
- 1 Thinlit Plus Die Set
- 1 Bigz Die
- 1 Framelit Die
- 4 Double Sided A4 Cardstock Sheets
- 10 double-sided 13,97 x 15,24 cm Cardstock Sheets
This machine is compatible with almost every brand. This makes it perfect if you would like to switch to another brand, such as the Cricut Cuttlebug slicer, but still have a lot of leftover stock.Check prices and availability here
Did you know that there are three types of cutting machines? I'll list the different options for you here
What we discuss in this comprehensive post:
What can you do with the Sizzix Big Shot?
Even with its compact size, the Big Shot cutting machine can cut a wide variety of materials, including cardboard, fabric, foam, felt, chipboard, metallic foil, craft aluminum, leather, natural paper and even window film.
So as you can see, this is a versatile cutting machine, you can use it for example with these cute fabric flowers with dies.
The best feature of the Sizzix Big Shot slicer is that it is very easy to use, just 3 easy steps to create beautiful results.
Just make a sandwich with your die, cutting mats and material, feed this sandwich into the machine, and swing it through!
It really is that simple! Watch the video below for a demonstration of how this works:
Sizzix Big Shot Plus features and specifications
- The standard cutting mats for this machine are 11,7 inches or 297 mm long. This allows you to play with larger designs.
- This machine is designed to use any brand of embossing folders and dies.
- A simple 3-step process to create beautiful and impressive cards and scrapbooks
- It requires no electricity, is operated entirely by hand and comes with a handle on the top meaning it is easy to transport.
Advantages and disadvantages of the Sizzix Big Shot Slicer
- This machine is really easy to use. No software or cables. Just good old fashioned honest crafting
- At 7.75 kilos, it is a really sturdy device
- This machine is great for kids and beginners
- Very versatile and can cut many different materials
- This machine is compatible with other brands of stamps and embossing folders
- It really is a portable machine
- It's pretty much the same model as the Sizzix Big Kick, so if you have a Big Kick don't buy it deze
For another decent manual slicer, check out my review of the Gemini Die-cutting and embossing machine