Are you looking for the best vinyl cutting plotters? Then you are reading the right article right now.
With all that technology in today's machines, it is not an easy task to buy the right cutting machine.
If you unexpectedly buy the wrong one, or a machine that is not especially suitable for vinyl, this can lead to a lot of frustration and failed projects.
This post will give you all the information you need to buy the best vinyl cutter based on your needs and will hopefully answer any questions you may have.
And remember, it's not just about price, power or speed. You can use a vinyl cutter like a computer-controlled scissors, so you want precision, sharpness and durability.
Silhouette Cameo XNUMXis one of the best selling vinyl cutting machines in the world. This is a full-fledged hobby cutter that can really do more than just cut stickers. In addition to vinyl, it works with a wide variety of other materials including paper, cardboard and fabric.
I'll tell you more about this absolute top machine later, but first our table:
|Best vinyl cutting machine||Picture|
|Overall best vinyl cutting machine: Silhouette Cameo 4|
(view more images)
|Best Time Saving Vinyl Cutting Machine: Cricut Explore Air 2|
(view more images)
|Best Powerful Vinyl Cutting Machine: Cricut Maker|
(view more images)
|Best Manual Vinyl Cutting Machine: Gemini Mini|
(view more images)
What we discuss in this comprehensive post:
- 1 How to choose a good vinyl cutting machine?
- 2 The best vinyl cutting machines reviewed
How to choose a good vinyl cutting machine?
You simply want to be able to get started with vinyl, so you will have to choose a cutter that is good at it.
My advice is also to look beyond speed, power and price:
- decide how intricate and how large your vinyl images will be.
- are you going to process very thin or very thick sheets?
- do you want to cut printed images into contours or produce perforated stickers?
The best vinyl cutting machines reviewed
Read my 4 favorite vinyl machines highlighted below.
Overall Best Vinyl Cutting Machine: Silhouette Cameo 4
The best vinyl cutting machine for me still is the Silhouette Cameo 4.
A number of types of die cutting machines require a computer and sometimes internet connection before they can be used.
This computerized cutting plotter is one of them and works a little more complex than the manual or stand-alone cutting machines, but it allows the passionate and demanding crafter to download designs, fonts, and figures from the internet.
So it allows you to cut almost any design in any size.
In addition to cutting vinyl perfectly, the Silhouette Cameo 4 is suitable for cutting many different materials - in fact it is a must for any avid craft enthusiast!
It has a high cutting force of up to 5 kg, especially for cutting thicker materials such as leather, balsa wood and foam rubber.
The cutting width is 30,5 cm and the cutting length is up to 3 m, this is just as possible with vinyl or iron-on film.
The Silhouette Cameo 4 is a really good DIY desktop cutting plotter with a relatively small blade that can cut to a thickness of 2 mm.
The machine comes with:
- power adapter and USB cable
- 12-inch cutting mat
- autoblade cutting knife
- cross cutter
- Silhouette Studio design software (compatible with Windows 7 and above or Mac OS X 10.7 or above)
At 18 x 57 x 17 cm, it is a bit on the large side, but can work with A4, A3, A5, A6, A7 and A8 paper.
The Silhouette Cameo has a nice touch panel with which you can upload, download and pause your projects.
The roll feeder is conveniently stored in the drawer of the machine, you can use it when you want to quickly cut vinyl and any heat transfer material.
On the back of the Silhouette Cameo 4 is a built-in cross cutter for cutting clean straight edges.
Its tool-sensor technology decides which tool you use and then activates the Silhouette Studio software to automatically adjust the cutting settings.
The Cameo 4 is powered by 2 motors and can therefore cut up to 3 times faster and more powerful than its elder brothers. You can also cut cardboard and other materials without mat.
You can purchase 4 additional blades that are specially designed to work with the Cameo technology: the Rotary Blade, Kraft Blade, AutoBlade and the Punch tool (for perforating).
- with the Rotary Blade you can cut fabrics such as cotton, vinyl, leather and other thick materials
- with the Kraft Blade you can cut materials such as acetate, craft foam and jute
- with the Autoblade; these are cutting plotter blades that automatically adjust themselves (the double toolholder is intended for the Autoblade and other blades and pens to work with thinner materials)
- the Punch Tool can be used to perforate
Watch the Cameo 4 in this YouTube video:
The Cameo 4 differs not only from its predecessor, but also from other brands.
It has a high cutting power, but can cut even deeper – 3mm – than the Cricut machines at 2 to 2.4mm, increasing your choice of materials and making vinyl processing easy.
Thanks to the integrated roll holder and crosscutter, even longer workpieces can be cut with the plotter. The automatic blade adjustment also saves you time.
Existing motifs can be cut out particularly efficiently with the Print & Cut technology.
The built-in scanner automatically reads the register marks and can thus cut precisely along the contours. Its maximum cutting pressure is 5 kg.
- high cutting power, it cuts more than 100 types of material, some without mat
- tool holder 2 has a cutting force of up to 5 kg and is used to cut the thickest materials.
- fast results for larger projects
- long cutting lengths
- ability to load multiple tools at once
- can cut up to 3 meters wide
- can cut in two different ways
- integrated roll holder
- the machine can only use one tool at a time
- various blades not included
Best Time-Saving Vinyl Cutting Machine: Cricut Explore Air 2
Like the Silhouette Cameo 4, the Cricut plotters are computer controlled. The Cricut Explore Air 2 Cutter The Cricut Explore Air 2 Cutter scores 5 stars on Amazon.
Thanks to its versatile blades and Cut Smart technology, the Cricut Explore Air 2 cuts light to medium-weight materials quickly and accurately, even down to details smaller than a nail sticker.
It cuts up to 2mm deep and can handle up to 100 different materials, from cardboard, vinyl and ironable vinyl to a range of other special materials.
The cutter comes with:
- fine point knife
- black fineliner
- Light Grip cutting mat 30,5 cm x 30,5 cm
- welcome book
- USB cable and power adapter
- 30 Day Trial Membership on Cricut Access
- practice materials for your first project
- 50 projects ready to make
If you want to purchase a vinyl package, you can purchase the Cricut Standard Grip (green) cutting mat of 30,5 cm x 30,5 cm or of 30,5 cm x 61 cm for long cuts.
This vinyl is a self-adhesive printing foil to print on, holographic. You also get Transfer Tape with it.
According to this video, the Knife blade is most suitable for cutting vinyl, it has a more precise 'cut':
Upload or design your own images from your computer, tablet or mobile phone using Cricut free design software Design Space.
You might consider subscribing to Cricut Access, a library of over 100.000 images and fonts.
By the way, there are dozens of groups on various social media platforms in which Cricut crafters and DIYers can exchange experiences, quite fun!
- wireless bluetooth technology
- perfectly cuts over 100 different types of materials, including premium and htv vinyl
- has fast mode to cut and write up to 2 times faster
- solid and looks more solid than the Silhouette Cameo 4
- made for creative consumers, not really graphic designers
- doesn't cut as many materials as the Cricut Maker
- Design Space software is sometimes perceived as slow
Best Powerful Vinyl Cutting Machine: Cricut Maker
The De Cricut Maker cutting machine The Cricut Maker cutting machine offers you countless craft possibilities.
You can edit vinyl just fine and more than 300 other materials with this machine, to cut out your designs.
The Maker therefore cuts in sturdy materials such as vinyl, in leather, but even in balsa wood. If you decide to work with a lot of materials, you will also need more tools.
There are 11 additional tools available to give your designs the finishing touch. To change the tool, press the button on the universal extension tool.
It can cut very precisely and adjusts the cutting pressure on the knife itself, according to the material you use. Its cutting ability is enormous, allowing you to cut through all materials.
The Cricut Maker comes with:
- rotary cutter with holder, which can cut light to medium weight materials, including vinyl, paper and adhesive iron-on films
- fine-point writer
- FabricGrip machine mat, for projects with textiles and composite materials.
- cardboard as test material
Choose the Cricut Explore Air 2 or Cricut Maker if you want to cut materials wider than 10,8cm, up to 30,5cm.
- glides easily through most fabrics and delicate materials, with no support material!
- great cutting force
- cuts deep: 2,4 cm
- the rotary cutter cuts quickly and accurately through any fabric – without backing material
- easy for sewing and quilting projects
- the handy slot holds your tablet or smartphone while you're at it.
- USB port
- you have to know something about computers to use it
Best Manual Vinyl Cutting Machine: Gemini Mini
This very simple die-cutting machine comes with a pair of standard cutting mats and a standard platform.
You can use it for making cards, photo frames and decorations, so also for scrapbooking.
This lightweight machine is compact and portable and can cut quite a few different materials. Nice for the beginner and for children who like to tinker.
- it couldn't be simpler
- great for scrapbooking
- compact, easy to carry and clean up
- too limited for the advanced DIY-ers and crafters
- durability is questionable
If you have any additions that we missed in this list of the best vinyl cutting machines, let us know. We would love to hear from you.