You move automatically on a 'floating' shelf with two wheels; it looks like a science fiction movie!
But this future has been here for a while, and that means that there are also a ton of brands that have improved and made REALLY good toys, as well as some cheap and lesser brands.
Let's take a look at what to look for if you want to buy one, and what are the best brands to look at.
It is best to go for an established brand with a hoverboard and this Bluewheel HX310s has the best price / quality ratio that I have seen. German solidity as in the car industry from a brand that has long been in the hover scene.
There are also more extensive versions, but this is not necessary at all, especially as a beginner.
How do these self-balancing scooters work? How can you control the device? And which hoverboard is the best?
Here's a roundup of the best hoverboards:
|Overall best hoverboard: Bluewheel HX310s|
|Best price quality hoverboard: Vonino Carbon|| |
(view more images)
|Best Cheap Hoverboard: Denver DBO|
(view more images)
|Best hoverkart combo: Colorway Flash-rad balance|
(view more images)
|Best Offroad Hoverboard: Evercross Challenger||(view more images)|
What we discuss in this comprehensive post:
- 1 Hoverboard buying guide
- 2 Best hoverboards rated
- 3 Hoverboards that did not make the selection
- 4 Hoverboard brands
- 5 History of hoverboards
- 6 What is a hoverboard?
- 7 How should you use a hoverboard?
- 7.1 Make sure the battery is full
- 7.2 How do you get on and off a hoverboard?
- 7.3 How do you balance on a hoverboard?
- 7.4 How can you make turns with your hoverboard?
- 7.5 Maintenance of your hoverboard
- 7.6 Is a hoverboard safe?
- 7.7 Take your time!
- 7.8 Should you wear a helmet on a hoverboard?
- 7.9 Choose the right store
- 7.10 Insurance
- 8 Are Hoverboards Worth the Money? Read these 7 things
- 9 What to do in case of a defect?
- 10 Conclusion
Hoverboard buying guide
When you want to purchase a hoverboard, for yourself or as a gift for someone else, you will quickly discover that there are a lot of different boards.
The various models and brands each have their own characteristics.
It is therefore important to consider the properties of these self-balancing scooters before making the purchase.
What should you keep in mind when buying a hoverboard?
- Size: The ideal width and length of a hoverboard depend on the way you are comfortable. The balancing boards that are specifically aimed at children are therefore often a bit smaller. The maximum speed and weight that this gadget can handle will also be lower in the case of a child model.
- Weight:: A light hoverboard is easy to carry and often rides smoothly. The weight of the device is determined by the hardware. The type of battery in particular influences the total weight. The weight of the driver also influences the final choice. There are children's boards that can handle a maximum load of 60 kg; this makes them unsuitable for most adults. In addition, the minimum weight is also important, because of the pressure that the pedals need to make the hoverboard move smoothly.
- Frame: A good self-balancing scooter must be able to take a beating. Cheaper models are often damaged more quickly. The rubber bumper strips also release easily. A good quality hoverboard may be a bit more pricey, but it certainly lasts longer.
- Wheels: The number of watts per wheel determines the power of the wheels; a higher number of watts also improves driving comfort. To get up to speed, it is important to purchase a hoverboard with wheels of at least 350 watts. The size of the wheels is indicated in inches; from normal 6,5 inch wheels to larger 8 inch wheels. One inch equals 2,54 cm.
- Maximum speed: The hoverboard brand also determines how fast you can go with it. On average, you can reach a speed between 6 and 20 kilometers per hour with a self-balancing wheel. Your weight and the road you drive on also affect the speed.
- Inclination angle: The angle of inclination indicates the ease with which the device can drive up a hill. Many hoverboards have an angle of inclination between 20 and 30 degrees.
- Accu: A cheap (replica) battery comes with the necessary risks. In the past, it has been found that the lithium-ion batteries produced in China often caught fire. A good reason to invest in a battery from Samsung or LG, for example. The better the battery, the longer the motherboard will last. This system is supplied by the current supplied by the battery.
- Battery life: When purchasing a balancing board, it is, in addition to the battery, also important to consider the battery life. This affects how many kilometers you can drive with the device without having to recharge it. With a SwheelS hoverboard you can drive 15 to 20 km on a fully charged battery. The battery life depends, among other things, on the weight of the driver and the surface on which it is driven.
- Charging time: The charging time is also a point of attention. For example, with the cheaper models, such as the Denver DBO-6520 Hoverboard, it takes 4 hours for the battery to be fully charged. Both the SwheelS hoverboard and the OXBOARD PRO have a charging time of 1 to 2 hours.
- Motherboard: The motherboard is the brain of the hoverboard and therefore one of the most important parts. The best system for these vehicles is the TaoTao motherboard. TaoTao is the original manufacturer of the system boards and delivers the best quality. A replica motherboard may be a lot cheaper, but you run the risk that the system will break down faster.
From what age are hoverboards suitable?
Hoverboard Age Requirements: The “official” age requirement for most hoverboards is 8 years and older.
That said, my niece who is 6, rides her Hoverboard like a champ, so the answer should really be - it depends.
Best hoverboards rated
Then let's dive straight into each choice:
Overall best hoverboard: Bluewheel HX310s
What makes the Bluewheel hoverboard one of the best self balancing boards is the price-quality ratio
Good price / quality ratio. Excellent battery and motherboard without being too expensive.
With a motherboard from the reliable brand TaoTao, you can be sure that this smart balance board will last for a while.
If not, Bluewheel offers a two-year warranty on all factory parts. That is how confident they are of the quality of this gadget.
The young entrepreneurs of this brand also excel in service.
The brand also meets the desired requirements and safety certificates, so that you can give your child this hoverboard as a gift.
However, Bluewheel hoverboards are not only suitable for children from the age of 10. Adults can also ride this self balancing board.
The boards can handle a weight of up to 120 kg.
They also have a beginner function, which makes it a lot easier for the inexperienced driver to master driving.
One reviewer said:
I bought these for my 8 year old son. Safety was the most important consideration for me. Bluewheel is a bit more expensive but are more than worth the money. It drives smoothly and reacts quickly. My son started in the beginner function and then quickly switched to the extended sports mode.
You also have expansion options with this smart balance board.
The hoverboard can be transformed into a hover kart with the right accessories.
Best price-quality hoverboard: Vonino Carbon
A hoverboard that takes a close second place comes from a young company
The balance board from The Scootershop brand is suitable for users with a larger budget, who can appreciate the luxurious appearance of this device.
The board therefore looks futuristic. The price of around € 200 is mainly determined by the sturdiness of this Hoverboard.
Especially the huge wheels catch the eye. They are therefore a lot bigger than the tires of the average hoverboard.
The popularity of the brand is evident from the fact that the brand is increasingly used as a generic name.
The board is also suitable for both young and old. Even brave grandpas and grandmas can take a ride on the board.
The recommended age is between 9 and 100 years.
He gets a whopping 4.4 out of 5 on bol.com and one reviewer said that he can be let up quickly and her 11-year-old child is constantly on it, and another was happy that his children finally did want to walk the dog. .
With a Samsung battery and a TaoTao motherboard as well, you have a quality product with this PRO.
The battery also lasts a long time; fully charged you can drive it up to 20 km.
The board has been tested extra safely and the rubber edges ensure that the board can take a beating.
Best Cheap Hoverboard: Denver DBO
Cheap but reliable hoverboard from under 180 euros. Not such a good battery and can only go 15 km per hour, but a great choice for children
If your son or daughter has the idea of wanting a hoverboard, then as a parent you naturally dive the internet to find out which hoverboards are good, at a good price and especially which hoverboards are safe.
In any case, you are making a good choice with the Denver; it is a good board, has a competitive price and is safe.
In this article we explain what specifically this hoverboard meets and why we think it is a good choice.
Should you be interested in a general sentence to read about the safety of hoverboards read on here.
Safe hardware - Denver uses good materials
What appears from both this article and the article in which the hoverboards are compared to each other is that Denver is a reliable brand.
If you entrust your son or daughter with a hoverboard, the reliability of the board is a requirement.
Denver builds robust equipment and is therefore safe to use.
For example, one reviewer on bol.com said that it is definitely waterproof, self-tested, and another that it is very manoeuvrable and nice to use, and it generally gets 5 out of 5 stars.
Safety first, also on the Denver hoverboard
Of course protective clothing and the use of a helmet, elbow and knee protection highly recommended.
Of course, that's the case when using all hoverboards, not just the Denver. A tough helmet especially for hoverboards can be found here for example.
Make sure the rider does not have loose laces that can get caught in moving parts of the board while riding.
The same goes for loose-fitting clothing.
The age of your child must also be taken into account. Make sure your son or daughter can handle the board responsibly and safely.
Your child must be able to maintain a good balance, but must also be able to understand how to act if something unexpectedly goes wrong.
Housing of the Denver
The housing of this Denver DBO is sturdy and robust. It consists of a hard ABS frame. ABS is a thermoplastic, ie a plastic, with a high finish.
The Denver hoverboard can therefore take a beating.
Anti-slip pieces have been applied to the frame for a good grip on the board. This makes leaning forward and backward on the board easier.
We'll discuss the importance of properly placing your feet on the board later in this article.
Wheels of the Denver
Another pleasant part of this Denver hoverboard model is that the wheels are relatively large.
This has a great positive effect on driving pleasure. The two aluminum rims have a diameter of 6.5 ”(16,5 cm) and have wide rubber wheels for extra grip.
Besides a better grip on the surface, you can imagine that wide wheels make it easier to keep your balance. However, the wheels are not so wide that cornering is made difficult.
Tao Tao motherboard
An incredibly important part of a hoverboard is the motherboard.
This motherboard provides the balancing power and after all, this is what a hoverboard is all about.
The technology of the motherboard is so specific that it is not easy to make.
If you're not that familiar with the hoverboard world, Tao Tao probably won't tell you anything.
We can tell you that the technology used by the manufacturer of Tao Tao motherboards is unparalleled at the moment.
Here is an interesting video about the manufacturer of the Tao Tao motherboards:
If your hoverboard doesn't have a Tao Tao motherboard, then you're really buying a lower quality hoverboard.
It is therefore extremely important to take this into account before purchasing a hoverboard.
The battery of this Denver model delivers a power of 2x 350 Watt. The board therefore has two motors that each produce 350 watts.
In principle, this power should be enough to drive approximately 15 km.
Battery life depends on usage
Be aware that this distance will become shorter if:
- The driver is heavier
- The surface is uneven
- There are slopes to be taken.
- Frequent starting, stopping, accelerating and slowing down will cause the battery to last less than if you maintain a constant speed.
- It's hot
- The battery has not been properly maintained
As long as the battery indicator is green, the battery is charged enough to drive it.
When you see that the indicator is red, stop driving and charge the battery with the corresponding charger.
Charging the Denver battery
Charging the battery takes less than three hours and this is a really good time compared to other hoverboards.
While the battery is charging, the battery indicator will be red. When the battery is sufficiently charged, the light will turn green.
It is important that you pay close attention to the following matters regarding charging the battery:
- Place the battery in a ventilated place. Like other devices that you charge, the battery heats up while charging. So make sure that the board is not covered
- Never leave the battery on longer than four hours
- Once the light turns green, unplug the power cord. The capacity of the battery is affected by overcharging
Cons hardware Denver hoverboard
The disadvantage of the Denver hoverboard is that it is not suitable for use in wet conditions.
But since hoverboards may not be used on public roads, we don't really see the problem.
If you use the board indoors (for example in an indoor skate park), you will not be bothered by the restriction that the board cannot withstand a wet road surface.
Read here why you better not use a hoverboard indoors
Don't get your Denver hoverboard wet
The reason the board cannot withstand moisture is because the housing does not protect the hardware on the inside of the board.
If the motherboard gets wet, the function of your hoverboard is immediately gone.
So it is really important to follow the warning that is given from the factory.
Maximum weight of 80kg
In addition, this specific model of the Denver hoverboards can handle a maximum weight of 80 kg.
This is not a problem for most children, but sharing the hoverboard with an enthusiastic father usually becomes difficult.
Children who are too light (under 20 kg) also cannot make good use of the hoverboard. The sensors simply do not work properly if there is not enough weight on them.
In our opinion, this is not really a downside.
A child who weighs less than 20 kg is in any case often too young to properly control a hoverboard and should not ride a hoverboard at all, in our opinion.
Read here about Attune's children and hoverboard safety
Value for money of the Denver
The Denver board's price-quality ratio is very good.
This is also one of the reasons that we have chosen this board when it comes to hobby use of a hoverboard.
Bol.com offers the boards in different colors, which makes it an ideal gift! Check the bol.com site for the current price.
Here you will find the user manual of the Denver hoverboard in Dutch, in which you read more about use and maintenance of this board.
Built-in alarm in the hoverboard for more safety
The Denver hoverboard is designed in such a way that it gives an alarm if the board has not found balance.
In our opinion, this is an incredibly big plus and will improve safety in use.
The alarm sounds in a number of situations:
- If a system failure occurs during use.
- When you step on and move the board more than 10 degrees forwards or backwards.
- The battery voltage is too low.
- You stand on the board while charging.
- If the platform is turned upside down during use, operation will be inhibited.
- When you drive at too high a speed.
- If the battery is insufficiently charged.
- When the tires become blocked, the scooter will turn off after two seconds.
- With continuous heavy power relief (such as going up a steep slope for a long time).
The alarm therefore indicates well when you use your hoverboard in the wrong way.
Denver hoverboard, really good choice
As far as we are concerned, we have shown you the advantages and the very few disadvantages in this article.
The Denver model is an excellent choice for people who want to ride a hoverboard for fun and don't want to spend too much money on it.
It is a hoverboard made of solid and sturdy material and is therefore an excellent choice in our opinion.
Best hoverkart combo: Colorway Flash-rad balance
With a price above 200 euros, it is not the cheapest, but it is a perfect Hoverkart combo for an all-in-one purchase
The mini segway from the exclusive brand Colorway falls in the same price category as the Denver hoverboard, but only because it comes with a Hoverkart.
If you were already thinking of purchasing a Hoverkart to sit comfortably on your Hoverboard, then a 2-in-1 option is the best money-saving tip.
However, this balancing board is not supplied by a Samsung battery, but by an LG 4.4A battery. Besides Samsung, this is one of the better batteries for a hoverboard.
If you want a unique item, a self balancing board from this brand is a good option; they are only supplied in a small edition.
This device can also be connected to the hoverkart. However, the board is unsuitable for smaller children.
If users are underweight, there will not be enough pressure on the rubber pads, which can cause the device to stall.
Best Off-Road Hoverboard: Evercross Challenger
A slightly spicier price tag, but you do get a lot for the price. A good battery, a TaoTao motherboard and 6.5 inch wheels
The nice addition is a bluetooth app if you like it, this is a top choice.
A good hoverboard is worth a lot. Especially when it is equipped with 6.5 inch wheels, a good battery and a TaoTao motherboard.
Especially the powerful motors of the Lucas Electronics board are appreciated by many users.
In addition to the versions in different colors, this hoverboard contains something that is missing from the aforementioned boards: a bluetooth app.
By connecting this gadget to your smartphone, music comes out of the built-in speakers.
That is also what customer reviews are mainly talking about, it works intuitively but especially the music is also of good quality.
They did say that you should stay close to the source (so actually your phone or another bluetooth music player) in your pocket and that the battery of the hoverboard is good, but can drain quickly with the music on.
At the same time, the LED lighting on the top of the hoverboard will change color.
Even if these technical highlights are not important to you, the Evercross hoverboard is a stable device that will last a long time.
Hoverboards that did not make the selection
Your budget is of course a point of attention when purchasing a hoverboard. We have for every budget put together a number of boards for you.
Hoverboard for under 200 euros
- Denver DHO-6520 Hoverboard (€ 149, check the latest price here): Denver is one reliable brand when it comes to hoverboards. This device is therefore an excellent choice within the lower price range. With a maximum weight of 80 kg and a top speed of 15 km/h, Denver seems to focus mainly on the youth. Also the choice between four different colors makes it a perfect gift for kids. However, the board is not suitable for persons under 20 kg. For balance it is important that there is enough weight on the pedals (and the gyroscopes). The board falls in the lower price category, among other things, due to the lack of a Samsung battery. This hoverboard also has one relatively long charging time compared to the boards from SwheelS and Oxboard. The Denver DBO-6520 Hoverboard is available both online and at toy stores such as Intertoys.
- Ergenic Hoverboard - 6,5 ”(€ 159, -, view customer reviews here): Another relatively cheap option is the Ergenic Hoverboard with 6,5 inch wheels. The built-in 350 watt motors ensure that this board has enough power to get up to speed quickly. Just like the Denver balance board, you can also use this device to speed up to 15 km / h. However, it is also possible to ride this hoverboard as adults; the carrying weight is namely 120 kg. The rechargeable Li-ion battery has been tested and found safe by TÜV. However, the board differs slightly in size from many other hoverboards, making it more difficult to purchase replacement, suitable parts. For example, the black and white hoverboards from Ergenic are half an inch shorter than the airboard from Denver. Also some other factory parts are replicas of quality brands, such as Samsung and TaoTao. This explains why the Ergenic Hoverboard is in a lower price range.
Looking for something specific? also watch our post about the best bluetooth hoverboards
In the meantime, a lot of brands are emerging, especially because many come from China without any control on the European market.
The main Hoverboard brands to keep an eye on are:
- Blue Wheel
History of hoverboards
The term hoverboard became popular with the cult film Back to the Future II, in which the main character races through the air on a floating skateboard.
However, today's two-wheeled boards just hit the ground, despite their name being derived from the English word for hover.
In 2012, the first hoverboard was invented by Shane Chen.
However, the inventor made little money from it, because variants were soon made in China that were a lot cheaper.
The hoverboard only really became popular when celebrities were spotted with it.
What is a hoverboard?
A hoverboard is, as it were, a self-balancing skateboard that is powered by motors.
However, the wheels are on the side of a hoverboard, so that you move forward.
By leaning in a certain direction you can determine both the direction and the speed of the board. Because a steering wheel is also missing, your balance is very important.
The means of transport is also called a self-balancing scooter.
What is the difference between a hoverboard and an oxboard?
In addition, this ultimate gadget for young people is also known as a mini segway, airboard or oxboard. However, the correct name is hoverboard and Oxboard is just one of the brands, although well known, that produces hoverboards.
It is another electronic tool that the children can use outside for once, instead of indoors all day on the console or a child's tablet.
How does a hoverboard work?
With a hoverboard, it is your body that controls the device.
The place where your feet are and the pressure you exert on the board determine your speed and which way you go.
But how exactly does a hoverboard work?
The board consists of different parts.
- Infrared sensors: At the top of the hoverboard are two pressure plates. The pressure plates communicate with the wheels by means of infrared sensors. The placement of your feet determines the movement of the wheels.
- Engine: The wheels of the hoverboard also contain the motors that drive the device. In addition, the tilt and speed sensors are also built into the wheels. The sensors measure the number of rotations per minute. This information is then forwarded to the gyroscopes.
- Gyroscope: You can simply see a gyroscope as a kind of top. A hoverboard contains two gyroscopes that, by the pressure of your feet on the device, can determine the rotation and speed. The gyroscope sensors also register how far you lean forward or backward. They are important for the stability of the hoverboard. The data received by the gyroscope is then forwarded to the motherboard.
- Motherboard: The information about the speed and rotation is processed by a kind of microprocessor. This is an important part of the hoverboard. The wheels are controlled on the basis of the data that the motherboard processes. TaoTao is the number one brand that develops the original circuit boards and sensors for the hoverboards. The motherboard also has an overview of the energy consumption and sends out a signal when the battery is (almost) empty.
- Accu: The battery of a hoverboard keeps the device moving. There are different types of batteries, which often affect the duration of the trip. It is a part that you should certainly not cut back on. A number of cheap Li-ion batteries have caught fire in recent years.
How should you use a hoverboard?
Here some tips for using this board. If you've never ridden a hoverboard, then you can the first few rides may be a bit tricky.
Make sure the battery is full
First, make sure the battery is properly charged. It is a requirement that the hoverboard is charged to a maximum of 50% during transport in the box.
So make sure to charge the board when you have unpacked it.
But also make sure the battery charges well, and not too long, between uses.
Self-balancing function by the Tao Tao motherboard
Before you step on a hoverboard, it is important that you understand the principle of the board.
Due to the technology of the Tao Tao motherboard, this Denver hoverboard has a self-balancing function.
The self-balancing function has the advantage that you can easily get on and off.
Before you board, you have of course read the manual and make sure you have taken the correct safety precautions (helmet, no loose clothing, etc.).
How do you get on and off a hoverboard?
Most accidents happen when getting on and off. The two foot pedals move independently of each other.
It is therefore important to master this technique before you start riding the hoverboard.
You can practice getting on by, for example, holding on to a chair or leaning against a wall.
When you place your foot on one of the rubber pads, the device can immediately respond.
If you put your right foot on the pedal, it is best to place your other foot on the left pad as soon as possible.
In addition, it can help to put your feet as close to the wheels as possible.
When you have put your first foot on the board, the motherboard will sense via sensors that someone is stepping on the board.
Immediately it will automatically balance itself. After the system has done this, place your other foot on the second plane.
Again, make sure that you put your foot neatly in the middle of the pedal.
The wider you place your feet, the easier it is to stay stable on the board.
It does not matter from which side you step on the board, because the motors work both ways.
When you put your feet straight, the sensors will not block the infrared light, causing the wheels to stand still.
If you want to stop driving, it is therefore important to stand up completely. Getting off also requires some practice.
When you're ready, turn on the hoverboard. You place the board on a flat surface and you place one foot on the pedal.
Make sure to place your foot correctly, centered on the pedal and not on the inside of the board.
How do you balance on a hoverboard?
Now that we've highlighted some of the key parts of the hoverboard, let's take a look at how the device works.
There are switches under the pressure plates of the hoverboard; both at the front and back.
When the switches are pressed, a kind of 'wall' is placed between the sensors and the infrared light.
The sensors then no longer receive light and pass this information on to the motherboard.
When you are standing with both feet upright on the balancing board, nothing happens. The switches are not pressed.
As soon as you lean forward or backward, the light is blocked. The motherboard receives a signal from the sensors, which sets the wheels in motion.
The switches are therefore indirectly connected to the wheels. If you activate the switch on the left front, the left wheel will turn forward, you will then turn right.
Using sensors, the gyroscopes can measure how far you lean forward or backward.
When you lean far forward, the wheels have to turn faster to make sure you maintain your balance.
Your speed is therefore determined by your weight and how far you lean forward or backward.
Once you are on the board it is important that you do not make sudden movements.
The hoverboard responds to a change in your balance. Below you can clearly see what happens when you lean back and forth.
Make sure your legs are in a relaxed position with the knees bent very slightly. This will allow you to keep a much better balance.
If you lean back, the hoverboard will move backwards.
When you lean forward, you go forward and if you are positioned above the center of the board, you remain in the same position.
It is also important that you only shift your weight and not at all times shift your weight from left to right so that a wheel comes off the ground.
How can you make turns with your hoverboard?
If you want to make a turn with your board, reduce your speed first. If you want to make a turn to the right, you apply more pressure with your left foot.
You tilt your left foot inwards, as it were.
As a result, the sensors in the board sense that the weight is moving, so that you will make a turn.
But it is also possible that the board becomes unbalanced with use. You then have to recalibrate the board. This is an easy task at the Denver.
Calibrating your hoverboard
You find yourself needing to recalibrate your hoverboard if it pulls too much left or right.
Below are the steps on how to calibrate your hoverboard:
- Turn off the hoverboard and level it.
- Press and hold the on / off button for approx. 10 seconds until the light flashes and the scooter emits continuous beeps.
- Switch off the scooter.
- Turn it on normally, and it is now calibrated.
You see, it's a piece of cake. This way you can drive quickly and safely with your hoverboard again. Read more about it here calibrating hoverboards.
Maintenance of your hoverboard
Maintaining the hoverboard is quite easy. It is important that you charge the battery correctly, as described above.
And when charging is complete, make sure you both unplug the adapter and unplug the board from the power supply.
Keep the hoverboard clean and dry
In addition to keeping your battery good, keeping it clean and dry is also important.
As you have already read, the Denver hoverboard model is not suitable for riding in water.
But even though you charge the battery properly and you don't drive through water, your hoverboard can get dirty. It is sufficient to clean your hoverboard with a soft cloth.
Is a hoverboard safe?
The mini segways are very popular with children and young people. They are therefore often received enthusiastically as a birthday, Christmas or Sinterklaas gift.
However, before the child takes his / her first ride on the hoverboard, it is important to be aware of the rules for riding this board.
How do you ensure that a ride with the airboard is as safe as possible?
To use a hoverboard safely, it is important to observe the following:
- Take time to learn
- Provide adequate protection
- Buy your hoverboard from a reliable supplier
Take your time!
If we can believe different YouTube videos, the use of a hoverboard is quite a challenge.
Especially adults who think they can step on the device without practice are the subject of many a blooper reel.
Before you actually start riding the hoverboard, it is important to practice well. It may take a while to find your balance.
As mentioned before, it can be quite a challenge to master getting on and off.
In the Netherlands, it is prohibited to use a hoverboard on public roads.
Since the device contains a motor, it could be seen as a 'motorized two-wheeler'.
However, the hoverboard does not include a steering wheel or seat, so it doesn't fall into the 'approved vehicles' category.
The vertical skateboard may therefore only be used at home or on private property.
Should you wear a helmet on a hoverboard?
In 2016, some 1.300 hoverboard users were injured.
The accidents mainly happened when they used the motor skateboard for the first time.
It is therefore recommended to wear both wrist and elbow protection. A helmet is also not an unnecessary luxury.
In many cases, a hoverboard supplier can help you advise the right protection.
Choose the right store
There are many stores where you can buy a hoverboard.
To be sure that you will use this balancing board with sufficient knowledge, it is wise to seek advice.
The shops that understand the business know the risks of driving a hoverboard.
They can also give tips on what the right device is for you (or your child).
With a hoverboard from a reliable brand, the chance that the battery will ever catch fire is small; as was the case with the cheap Li-ion batteries from China.
The risk of damage is always present when you or your child is driving this 'floating skateboard'. Yet in many cases you are not insured against the damage caused.
This is because a hoverboard is not seen as a toy and is also rejected as a motor vehicle.
It does not therefore fall into a category, so in most cases you are not entitled to liability insurance.
Are Hoverboards Worth the Money? Read these 7 things
Hoverboards, the attempt to bring back nostalgia from the 80s when we saw Marty McFly riding them around in the supposed 2000s. That hoverboard looked like a skateboard but floated in the air instead of relying on wheels to move around.
However, hoverboards these days are more of a brand name than an actual hoverboard. It is a mix between a skateboard in the sense that it is a board and has wheels like a segway in the sense that you use your own weight to propel it forward.
Either way, that's a wide spectrum of prices, so before you buy it, it's worth considering exactly what you're getting when you buy a hoverboard. Is It Really Worth It?
1 How much does it cost?
As you know, these boards can cost between $ 200 and $ 600. If you're willing to spend that much for this device then the cost shouldn't be an issue.
Know that pricing does not always ensure quality or durability. According to 'State of Tech', a video series on YouTube, all hoverboards are essentially the same board. They all come in different prices, but you get the same product.
Do you want for example the fastest on the Dutch market? Or do you want a more budget option.
2 Where do you buy it from?
It is best to buy the hoverboard in the home country you are coming from to avoid any kind of ambiguity of the return policy.
For example, if you are in the Netherlands and are trying to buy a hoverboard from Japan, the return policy may be slightly different from what you are used to. Not to mention that it will take a lot longer to get to you.
In addition, local rules can also deviate from those we know in the Netherlands and you can ultimately buy a cheap product that was actually not allowed to be imported, due to non-compliance with strict safety rules.
3 How often do you use it?
Surprisingly, using a hoverboard requires leg muscle. If you are not very active, you will get tired of using it pretty quickly. If this is stopping you from using it then I would suggest maybe not buying one, or at least limit yourself to the cheaper ones in the market.
4 Why do you want it?
Do you want it because everyone has it or do you want it because you really want it? It's important to recognize the difference as trends come and go.
If your interest in this board goes away with everyone else, you should reconsider this purchase.
Read also: universal chargers for your Hoverboard
5 Do you know someone who already has one?
This question can save you a lot of time and money. If you know someone who has one of these boards, you can try it out before you buy it.
6 Can you return it?
If you buy a hoverboard and it accidentally breaks or if it is not the way you bought it or if something goes wrong, you should be able to return it. When you're going to pay a few hundred dollars for something, you want it to work.
7 How long is the battery life?
Does the battery run out quickly? You should also know that before you buy it. What's the point of buying something if you can't use it for that long? This is often one of the irritations so that it is ultimately taken (and therefore used) less and less.
For something like this, you have to be able to use it for hours to actually use it as the manufacturer intended.
So after reading all this advice, you still wonder, "Is a Hoverboard Worth the Money?" According to the internet, the answer is yes.
- Hoverboards are really fun.
- They are a refreshing way to move from place to place without the established modes of transportation such as walking, car, using your scooter or your bicycle.
- Once you get the hang of it, hoverboarding can really be a fun pastime.
If you will be using it all the time and it is good quality then yes these are worth it.
Read also: are Hoverboards waterproof?
How much does a hoverboard cost?
It might be tempting to buy a hoverboard for as little money as possible; the gadgets can be quite expensive.
Still, a quality board is well worth the investment.
The cheaper motor skateboards often contain a replica battery or a frame that has already suffered visible damage after a single ride.
For long-term and safe use, it is best to choose a reliable brand of hoverboard, such as the hoverboard from the Dutch SwheelS.
The warranty is also an important point of attention when purchasing this vehicle.
You can expect from a good supplier that you get at least one year manufacturer's warranty on the factory parts of your hoverboard.
What to do in case of a defect?
The above hoverboards almost all have a two-year manufacturer's warranty. However, this does not always cover all components.
A defect can also occur outside the manufacturer's warranty, for example after a crash. Fortunately, there are methods on which you can repair your hoverboard yourself.
This can save you a lot of money!
Many problems with the hoverboard control have to do with the gyroscopes.
When they are no longer properly adjusted, the device may turn to the left, while you really wanted to go straight.
Does the vertical skateboard vibrate when you try to drive up a slope? Even then this may be the result of the gyroscopes being out of balance.
Fortunately, this is easy to fix by calibrating the hoverboard.
The 'reset' can be done in almost the same way on almost every board. It is best to follow the following steps:
- Place your hoverboard on a flat surface. Make sure the appliance is level. You can do this by checking whether the LED lamps are at the same height or by ensuring that the pedals connect seamlessly. If you want to be absolutely sure that your hoverboard is straight on the ground, you can also use a spirit level.
- Press and hold the power button for at least 5 seconds. The place where this power button is located can differ per brand of hoverboard.
- You should now hear a beep and lights will flash. You can now release the power button.
- When the LED lights stop flashing, you can turn off the device.
- When you restart the hoverboard, the calibration is complete.
The gyroscopes should now be restored. Calibration can also be used for other system errors.
It is wise to calibrate the device a few times before purchasing new parts or sending it in for repair.
Repair or replacement
Have you calibrated your balance board several times without success? Then there are several options. Maybe there is a part that needs to be replaced.
In that case you can choose to send the mini segway for repair.
There are several companies that offer a repair service, even if you did not buy the hoverboard from this company.
In addition, it is sometimes possible to replace a part yourself.
Does your battery need to be replaced or are you looking for a new cover? These parts can often be found online, with the necessary repair advice.
The tires of a hoverboard are also easy to change. In this case, make sure that you purchase the products that fit the model you have in your possession.
You can of course also prevent as much damage as possible, for example by providing the hoverboard with rubber protection.
Due to these bumpers, the device is less likely to be damaged. A good quality protective cover can also prevent the necessary scratches.
In addition, it is important to check the wheels regularly and to prevent water damage as much as possible.
It is therefore not recommended to drive in the rain.
Technological developments seem to be going faster than ever.
Where the elderly sometimes have trouble keeping up with the latest fads, young people seem to have no problems at all.
Goods she just got used to the tablet, yet another technological feat comes around the corner; the hoverboard.
This floating - but not real - skateboard is powered by a motor, so you can drive over the road at a good speed.
Fortunately for many concerned parents, the use of the hoverboard on public roads has now been banned.
However, this does not affect the popularity of the device.
Creative as kids, YouTube is full of tricks you can even do around the house with this electric skateboard.
Due to the great popularity, there is now a huge range of hoverboards.
From simple, safe boards for young people to oxboards with built-in bluetooth speakers.
With the right protection and practice, almost anyone can safely use these self-balancing scooters.
There are, however, some exceptions.
Although the children can often control the hoverboard without difficulty, it is the parents who regularly provide the necessary bloopers.
Lees meer: the fastest hoverboard on the Dutch market